It is set in the heart of the village of Graffham nestling at the foot of the South Downs and is a popular resting place for walkers on the South Downs Way.
It was formerly called The Star and Garter Inn and we know that George Goff was the landlord in 1861. The name change cannot be dated but was certainly caused by the Alberry family's interest in the Ancient Order of Foresters in the late 1800s when George Alberry was High Chief Ranger and was "much respected" according to one village history.
The building was listed as a timber-framed medieval house in the survey of 1950 and had at least four bays. It has served the village as a public house with attached brew house, bakery and shop and at one time, it also housed a butchery, taxi service, coal merchant and bookmaker. The Alberry family, together with the Nudds, ran The Foresters for many years, including George (known always as Salter), his son, Richard and his grandson, Cecil, who finally retired in 1959.